WORLD CUP CLASH PREVIEW: Germany vs Mexico

Germany vs Mexico

On the 17h of June, Germany is playing Mexico at Luzhniki Stadium for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Germany Head-to-Head Mexico

22 Dec 1968Mexico v West Germany0-0International Friendly
08 Sep 1971West Germany v Mexico5-0International Friendly
14 Jun 1977Mexico v West Germany2-2International Friendly
06 Jun 1978Mexico v Germany0-6FIFA World Cup
15 Jun 1985Mexico v West Germany2-0City Tournament
21 Jun 1986Mexico v Germany0-0FIFA World Cup
14 Oct 1992Germany v Mexico1-1International Friendly
22 Dec 1993Mexico v Germany0-0International Friendly
29 Jun 1998Germany v Mexico2-1FIFA World Cup
29 Jun 2005Germany v Mexico3-3FIFA Confederations Cup
29 Jun 2017Germany v Mexico4-1FIFA Confederations Cup

 

Germany

Germany’s  World Cup qualifying campaign was ruthless, they won all ten games they played resulting with a goal difference of +39. With 21 players on the scoresheet, coach Joachim Low was extremely pleased with the way his team shared out their goals.

Qualifying  Moments

Goalkeeper Manuel Neuer made his debut as captain, while Thomas Muller ended the 10-month drought of goals during a 3-0 win over Norway in September 2016. Germany beat Northan Ireland 2-0 in Hanover after Julian Draxler and Sami Khedira scored in October 2016. Mats Hummel scored a header that secured a 2-1 victory against the Czech Republic in September 2017. Their qualification was sealed in Belfast after beating Northern Ireland 3-1 in October 2017.

 JOACHIM LOW

57-year-old Joachim was appointed the coach for Germany in 2006 under the contract until 2020, he is Europe’s longest-serving national coach. He has also revolutionised the German style of play, abandoning the strong arm and safety first mentality and replacing it with dynamism and creativity.

TONI KROOS

It is midfield ace Toni Kroos who sets the strategic tone for his side with his exceptional distribution and composure. The 28-year-old Real Madrid midfielder is one of the best in the world in his position and once again will be a crucial player for Joachim Low in Russia.

MATS HUMMELS

29-year-old Mats Hummels plays as a central defender for Bayern Munich and the Germany national team. He represents immaculate leadership both on and off the pitch for his team.

OTHER NEWS

Manuel Neuer was not present for the majority of the campaign due to his broken foot. This is as well as Marcos Rues not making it to one single qualifier due to his groin and cruciate ligament injuries. Debuting in the qualifiers striker Timo Werner made an instant impact scoring three goals. Germany was already spoilt for choice in the midfield but they have discovered yet another gem, Leon Goretzka.

 

Mexico

Just the same as every four years, Mexico will arrive at the 2018 World Cup with the mission of advancing to the quarter-finals. This is whilst being in the middle of a heated public debate regarding the quality of the team and its current coach. Although, this time around they topped the CONCACAF qualifying table with ease.

Qualifying  Moments

Mexico beat USA 2-1 when Rafa Marquez scored the last minute goal in November 2016. This was their first win in the American stronghold of Columbus, Ohio, where they’d lost four times in a row prior. In March 2017 they beat Costa Rica 2-0 taking their first place in the qualifying group, they never managed to relinquish that spot throughout the rest of the campaign. Due to Hirving Lozano scoring, they qualified after defeating Panama 1-0 in September 2017. After they beat Trinidad & Tobago 3-1 they finished first in their group since 1998.

JUAN CARLOS OSORIO

56-year-old Juan has been coaching Mexico since 2015. The former Columbian player was an assistant to Stuart Pearce at Manchester City before starting his coaching career for Columbia. He’s coached the Millonarios, Chicago Fire, New York Red Bulls, Once Caldas, Puebla and Sao Paulo before moving onto Mexico’s national team.

JAVIER HERNANDEZ

29-year-old striker Javier remains Mexico’s most recognisable face being the country’s all-time top goalscorer aside from his poor start to the season at West Ham. Although he did only manage two goals in qualifying. But this isn’t Hernandez’ first experience as he prepares for his third time in the finals and in the past, he has always delivered.

OTHER NEWS

A new star for Mexico, Hirving Lozano has recently taken the Dutch league by storm since he joined PSV. He will experience playing in the World Cup for his first time in Russia this year. Unfortunately, Alfredo Talavera is likely to miss the finals due to his knee injury.

 PREDICTED LINE-UP

SPORTS OF THE DAYS VERDICT

In Germany, Football is the most popular sport. After the 4-1 victory over Mexico in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup, we think they’ll win against most odds bearing in mind they also beat every opponent in the qualifiers.

Google’s win probability is at 67% for Germany to beat Mexico. The chances of Mexico winning is at 11% with a 22% chance of it being a draw.